On Writing

I've been teaching a writing class to a group of 6th graders for the past 5 weeks.  More than anything, it makes me want to be a writer again.

I think I've been a teacher/critic for too long.  Every time I get an idea, I get excited about it, I start working on it, and a couple of days later I abandon the idea because I suddenly think it's stupid.  *sigh*

The best thing to do is just to write.  Throw the critic out the door.  Push her face into the snow.  Write a little every day until I trust myself again.  Push through the idea even when I think it's stupid.  Stop expecting perfection to pour out of my finger tips with ease.

A friend of mine once told me that successful writers are good at revision.  Maybe so.  But you've got to get something written before you can revise it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superheroes and the Villains Who Make Them

Getting Organized

Getting Serious--the separation of professional and personal