Sure on This Shining Night




Yesterday was a full day! Because we are down to one car and Jason had to work, which meant he would be hurrying downtown for the concerts, I left the house at 11:30 to catch the bus. It's been a long time since I rode the bus alone downtown. It wasn't bad, but I felt pretty silly wearing my formal with tennis shoes. (I didn't want to walk to the bus and then to temple square in my heels--probably a good decision given the fact that my feet were killing me and I could barely walk by the end of the night!)

We met at the Tabernacle at 1:00 and rehearsed until 4. After an hour break for dinner, we had our first concert. This concert was added because the Tickets to the first scheduled concert (7:30) were gone so quickly. I took a few pics while the band was warming up. How often does someone like me have the opportunity to get this close to the pipes?



A little way into the first concert, Kelly DeHaan, our director, left. I wondered if he was sick or something, but he was directing his high school choir in a different building on Temple Square. Jason's mom came to this concert, and she brought a friend. We weren't able to see her afterwards, but she texted Jason and said the concert was wonderful. Yay!

The second concert started at 7:30. By then, I had been standing in my heels for a few hours (5 hours, basically), and my right middle toe was soundly asleep. I don't know whether I'm getting old or what, but my body was really mad at me. My feet hurt, my arm hurt from holding my music in the same place for so long, my throat hurt from singing. It wasn't a comfortable position. However, it was wonderful to sing in that incredible building! With this concert, I knew I had friends in the audience as well as my parents and kids. Maida brought her boyfriend too. I gave it my all, knowing it didn't matter too much if my voice was gone by the end of it.



What a great experience it was! There's something about singing the Hallelujah chorus with that many talented people, especially in the packed Tabernacle with Christmas lights glittering in the windows. It was so fun!

Merry Christmas!

Comments

Erica said…
I knew Stephanie was there so I texted her, asking where you two were in the choir. She told me and was so good with her "directions" that I found you guys right away. :^) Great job, again!
Stephanie said…
You were fabulous! We loved loved loved the concert and it was extra special knowing that people we adored were singing!

Great job!
Cope Family said…
Amy, you are so talented. Is there anything you can't do? What a talented family you have, also. You are so amazing & I am sure the audience appreciated the beautiful music, even if, they had no idea how much pain you went through to provide it. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Superheroes and the Villains Who Make Them

Getting Serious--the separation of professional and personal

Getting Organized